8.28.2009

Music to Create To - Imogen Heap :: Ellipse

The time has come, my friends. The long awaited, much anticipated album "Ellipse" from Imogen Heap has arrived. And since Monday when I got my pre-release mp3 album it hasn't stopped playing in my car, on my iPod or iMac depending on where I am physically. Not that this is actually possible, but if I had to use one word to describe this album musically it would be "stacatto" (a music term meaning "short detached notes"). Every song is filled with these short bits of melody and layered ambient noise and sound. Even the more sweeping and legato (opposite of stacatto) songs seem like they are created by knitting together small pieces of sound and space to create the illusion of continual sound. What's amazing is that there isn't a feeling of it being choppy or detached or unrelated. It all works together and it's beautiful. Lyrically it's a masterpiece as well. Some songs like "Canvas" I'm still processing. Wondering if there is one interpretation or if I'm supposed to discover my own. Others like "Bad Body Double" are hilarious, straight forward slices of everyday life put to melody, rhythm and rhyme. Truthfully, I could go on and on about this album. I love it. It was well worth the four year wait and I'm hoping and praying that her tour comes within a 5 hour drive of Phoenix. But I'll leave you with her website www.imogenheap.com where you can purchase the album and a little teaser with her first video for the song "Canvas". Enjoy!





No comments: