3.05.2009

Adventures in Gardening



(the lone lettuce sprout)


Admittedly, I am not a green thumbs. I blame this on the fact that I grew up and still live in Arizona where the only things that grow with out an abundance of work and gardening knowledge are tumbleweeds and cacti. However, there is nothing quite like being able to make bruschetta with tomatoes and basil from your garden so over the past couple of years I've started experimenting with edibles that are supposed to be desert friendly. Last year was yellow squash and basil. The squash tanked and the basil lasted into the fall until it got some kind of bug. This year I'm going for basil again (can't let the bugs win!) and lettuce because my mom keeps telling me how expensive lettuce is going to be. Since the move I haven't had the chance to get a real garden up and running so my plants are bound to large pots. I thought I'd let you all in on the adventure and extend an invitation to anyone who might have some gardening tips to share! Also, I'm including a fun freebie if anyone else happens to be growing these two things. I had to make cute little labels to keep them organized and you can download them here. I just cut them out and taped them to a bamboo skewer I'd cut in half.

Enjoy!

No comments: