1.30.2009

Super Bowl Salsa - GO CARDS!


I'm a native Arizonan. A claim few can make. The Arizona Cardinals football organization moved to my native land when I was in kindergarten and I remember everyone being excited about the new team in town. Until two weeks ago when they clinched a spot in the Super Bowl (THE SUPER BOWL!?), that was the last time I (or anyone else) was even remotely excited about the Cardinals. So, in light of my fair-weather-fan feelings I'm revisiting my favorite salsa recipe for all of the parties that will be kicking off this Sunday. Make a bunch up and enjoy watching sports history in the making!

Mango Salsa
2 large or 3 small mangoes chopped (for directions on how to peel a mango go here. I prefer mine "cubed".)
2 medium tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
2 Tablespoons red onion finely chopped
3 Tablespoons cilantro chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste

Put all ingredients into your favorite bowl and mix! Salsa is best if allowed to sit and chill for 24 hours, though I can never hold out that long. Serve with tortilla chips or chicken quesodillas and enjoy! (TIP: Mangoes aren't currently in season in the Northern Hemisphere and it maybe be hard to find ones that are ripe/affordable. Try using frozen mango chunks from your local grocery store. Set them out to thaw a few hours before salsa prep or defrost them on a low setting in your microwave.)

No comments: